2017 was a year of several new beginnings. I moved to a new country. I started a new job. I started learning a new language. I built a new support network, professionally and personally. I am listing 10 things this life-changing year taught me with the hope that it helps you kickstart your 2018 .
- You have a life, not a career. Your professional actions and plans shape your entire life, not just your 9-to-5 gig. Adopt an attitude of long-term thinking while planning your career as every move will eventually end up shaping your life.
- The world is full of kind and open minded people. In fact, there is more kindness in this world than you expect. Don’t hesitate to say hello to the stranger sitting next to you.
- Travel is the best education. Plan a trip, pack your bags, meet new people, eat foreign food, challenge yourself and explore more.
- If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, you are potentially headed on to the right path. Discomfort is an indication of self-growth.
- Learn something new every day. Learning is a great way to enhance your knowledge, build self-confidence and just have fun.
- Meet, call or message the people you love. Cherish your limited time with them, every single day.
- People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel (Inspired from Maya Angelou).
- You may not know a foreign land’s language or culture. Fear not. Politeness and kindness is universal. People will respond to a smile and small gestures like saying hello or asking them about their day.
- Accept that you are not going to like everyone you work with. Widen your perspective, don’t take it personally and focus on the issue, not the person.
- Never underestimate the power of your social network. Spread your ideas, seek for support and you will be amazed what comes your way. Pay forward.
With these 10 lessons in mind, I hope that 2018 is the year for me and for you. What did you learn in 2017? What are your wishes for 2018? I wish you a happy new year filled with success, laughter, light and love. I would love to hear from you in the comments below.